My favorite hymn is “We Gather Together”. It’s also the only hymn I know. Somehow it stuck in my memory from the halcyon days at camp “Kinni Kinnic”. I guess the Christian counselors let it slip into the Friday night Shabbat services. Good for them. Last year I brought the lyrics to our Thanksgiving dinner so everyone could sing together. Corny, but sweet. My kids said no to this year. So this Thanksgiving, as we are gathered together, I will stubbornly hum alone. Here is what I am most thankful for this year:
1. My closest family is alive, well and fabulous. We love each other and we care for each other.
2. Bill and I will be married 30 years this January, God willing. Unbelievable.
2. One of my dearest friends in the world is not as sick as we thought she might be. Thank you God.
3. My arms and legs work. I do not live in pain. I see the world as a sunny place.
4. When my radio station suddenly closed, Bob Bayne and Clark Bugard went into immediate action, setting me up with a home studio, a professional mike, the whole shebang. I was paralyzed; they moved.
5. Mike Schweitzer, fan and friend, made not one but two trips from Kentucky to CT to give me moral and technical support.
6. Jaimee Kelsey, producer, friend, too many other relationships to enumerate. We have each other’s backs.
7. I will be starting on December 5 on WFAS am from 4-6 PM, Monday- Friday. They are changing from music format to talk format for my show. I am very grateful to all the people there who have made this possible, particularly Chuck Bortnick, Marty Sheehan and Mary DeSilva.
8. The U-Stream Gang, who follow me from radio to internet to ustream to blogtalk to wherever I go. You are my core support, my most loyal fans. I am so thankful you actually want to hear what I have to say.
9. All the listeners who have written and called me personally to ask me when I am getting back on the air. Thank you.
10. Sugar, my most wonderful little friend. She escaped a vicious German Shepherd attack several weeks ago thanks to the bravery of my son Jonathan. Thank you, Jonathan.
11. A roof over my head, plenty of food to eat. More than most…
12. Parents, Children, Husband, Sister, Aunts, In-Laws (Parents and Sisters and Brothers), Cousins, Family, Friends. In the end, is there anything else? Only Kindness Matters.
Happy Thanksgiving to You and to Your Loved Ones. May you Gather Together. Here are the Lyrics. Love, Lisa
- We gather together to ask the Lord’s blessing;
He chastens and hastens His will to make known;
The wicked oppressing now cease from distressing;
Sing praises to His Name; He forgets not His own.
- Beside us to guide us, our God with us joining,
Ordaining, maintaining His kingdom divine;
So from the beginning the fight we were winning;
Thou, Lord, were at our side, all glory be Thine!
- We all do extol Thee, Thou Leader triumphant,
And pray that Thou still our Defender will be;
Let Thy congregation escape tribulation;
Thy Name be ever praised! O Lord, make us free!